The following is a guest post by Cody Hewitt, founder of The Successful Foreman, which was created with the question in mind: how do I provide value and teach others in the construction industry to be successful? It became a burning desire of his to help others achieve their goals and the Successful Foreman does just that.
The Construction industry is filled with opportunities and has no limit to the amount of success you can achieve. In order to be successful you will need to be consistent, persistent, focused, and determined. Half of the fight is going to be the struggle within yourself and controlling your mindset. You can achieve anything you desire when you focus your mindset in the right direction. The Successful Foreman was created to help those in the industry stay focused, motivated, consistent, and determined. Your projects, your career, and your life will drastically improve as you push yourself, grow, and create momentum behind your success. Check out 10 of our most popular posts from Instagram that motivate you to be successful on your project and in your career…
1. Don't be afraid to create your own opportunities. It’s best to assess your situation and your actions to make sure you are allowing yourself to capture opportunities. Think about like this… Are spending the right amount of time working on the right things? Stop yourself from doing busy, ineffective work and focus on the effective tasks that will move your project and your career forward. Take a moment today to dive in and figure out whether or not you’re creating the opportunities you really desire. Work to get ahead and be your best!
2. Today is Your Day! This is the start of a fresh new week where you can go out there and take on the world. It only takes one step at a time. As a foreman, work to take the right steps on your project and make some real progress this week. Communicate all your goals to your team and get them to buy into the success of your project. Take 5 extra minutes each day this week to get ahead. Plan an extra 5 minutes, get organized, send that one last email, and do something to make each day really count! You are a Successful Foreman. Now go out and make it happen!
3. This should be your goal every day. Make quality a habit and always part of your reputation. Being your best includes everything from your projects, career, health, leadership, family, and relationships. Strive to be the very best you that you can be. Don't ever stop growing and becoming better. Greatness is just around the corner!
4. Quality, Quality, Quality! Don't lose sight of the end of the goal and finish your projects with the highest level of quality that you can! As a foreman, you have to do your best to minimize your loose ends. Close up as many as possible so you're not forgetting or having items coming back to haunt you. It's best to keep a running list and to try your best to complete items 100%. Always push others so you can finish completely. The less lose ends will result in a more successful project!
5. Networking is the key to growing your success. Take every possibility to grow your network and develop key relationships. This includes everyone from your customers to your workers. Never leave a company by burning a bridge. Just remember you never know when you may need that bridge again. This doesn't mean don't go after new opportunities, it only means you should be professional about it and really focus on relationships. Your network decides your net worth so surround yourself with positive people taking action. You'll do a great job!
6. Keep up that hard work! It's only a matter of time before it pays off in huge dividends. Successful foremen look at the long play and they recognize exactly where they want to be 3-5 years down the road. Take time to set up a plan to make those dreams a reality. Set yourself some goals, create a plan, and take ACTION! One step and one day at a time!
7. Today is a new opportunity! Take advantage of it and be excited. Don't waste today thinking about yesterday. You cannot change what happened yesterday. You can only change what happens going forward. Make progress and conquer today!
8. Have some motivation and drive today. Think of all those who have doubted you, that said you couldn't do it, and tried to hold you back. Prove them wrong and set out to be the very best you can be. Massive success is the best revenge!
9. Show your appreciation today! It's so important to show your gratitude and appreciation for the hard work your team has performed. It's not hard to give your team an “atta boy” or a pat on the back. Let them know how proud you are and what they have been able to accomplish. Give them meaning to their work!
10. Never Stop Grinding! When others are sleeping, GRIND! When others are leaving work early, GRIND! If you want to get ahead this year it all starts with taking action and grinding your way to the top. Your efforts will produce really results that will bring you continued success. This goes for everything in your life. You have to put in focused efforts to get great results. Turn it up a notch this year and work harder than you ever have before!
You have all the tools, skills, abilities, and resources to be successful in this industry. It all starts with believing in yourself and taking action. Check us out on Instagram (@successfulforeman) or check out our Facebook (The Successful Foreman). We will keep the motivation and tips coming… You will have to do the rest. Go out there and absolutely crush your project!